Sunday, October 14, 2012

Did you know? I bet you didn't know.

Did you know there is a beach in Hawaii made entirely out of plastic? This is because of the trash that floats onto it, from the Pacific Ocean.
Did you know that the wildlife often eat the plastics you don't recycle, they then can't digest the plastic and ... they die. Since they can't digest the plastic, they starve. I know it's gruesome, I know... But it's the truth. And I'm all about the truth.
 Did you know that you can recycle even your toothbrush?
Did you know that plastic NEVER goes away? I mean NEVER!! It can be recycled, it can be broken down to microscopic pieces, but it doesn't go away.

Did you know that there is an Island of Trash (Mostly plastic) in the Pacific Ocean the size of the State of Texas?

It's called "The Island of Plastic", or the "Trash Vortex" or "The Pacific Gyre"... or "Great Pacific Garbage Patch", those are the few names that I have heard it called. I once had to do a very in depth research project on this huge floating trash Island... Ignorance is not bliss and it's important that people know what they are doing to their planet and what they are leaving behind for their children.

There are SO many ways we can recycle, reduce and reuse... it doesn't take that much time, and really... How hard is it to rinse your coke bottle and put it in the recycle bin? It's scary... these plastics are breaking down in our oceans, the fish are eating these teeny plastic pieces and especially the chemicals they leave behind, and then we EAT the fish... the chemicals that plastics leave behind can cause all sorts of problems and have even been known to increase the risk of miscarriage.

On that note, I found a Happy thing you can do with plastic... I don't know if Folgers is World Wide, but here in the States we can buy coffee in huge plastic red tubs, instead of recycling, we can reuse them! Folgers has made it so that you can go to their website right Here... And you can download labels to put OVER your coffee labels and re-use the containers!! They are perfect for Cookies!! YAY!! Go Team Folgers!!!

 

Here are the super cute prints, they are cute right??.... Ohh... I almost forgot, or you can make your own!! Plastic problem solved? Well... I'd like to think I'm doing my part :)





I honestly don't like to offend people... I don't. But the truth needs to be told about what we are doing to our planet... No, I'm not completely as "Green" as I would like to be, but I'm trying, and I am trying to spread the word about the Pacific Gyre. I want to leave my children a better planet than what I started with!

9 comments:

  1. Hello, thank you for following me :) I'm very shocked, by my own ignorance as well, I never knew about the island. We try to recycle as much as we can, and I know our local council (like most councils) also recycle a high content of the rubbish they collect. Haven't heard of Folgers, but like the tubs :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many that dont know about the island of trash, The thing is it's only going to get worse unless many people action. I love that picture on your profile :)... It's looks like a fairy home!!

      Delete
  2. That place is crazy! I can't believe such a place exists... I love recycling. It's so easy... why don't people cop on and just do it?? Sheesh! It's just pure laziness, I think, if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree Hazel, especially since our Countries and our cities are becoming aware of the problem, they are giving us everything we need in order to recycle for free!

      Delete
  3. there are lots of villages near me now that say 'no' to plastic bags and you either bring your own cloth bag or carry your food in your arms-- my father ran a wildlife sanctuary when i was little and i grew up knowing the truth behind humans. its shocking to see so much plastic on the beach in those images!!!!! and all the birds and sea life that suffer- plastic is a horrible thing.
    just starting to follow your blog and catching up on postings ;0)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably teach all of us something about how we can better protect the environment! Especially if you grew up on around a wildlife sanctuary, that sounds like a wonderful life! Plastic is horrible, I agree, but it seems like we can't get away from it, everything seems to be made out of it!! Even the keyboard I'm typing on! But not using plastic bags could be the start...I need to do better about that, I sometimes forget my fabric ones, you've just made me feel guilty... even though I recycle my plastic bags, I don't really need to be using them in the first place!

      Delete
  4. thank you for your kind words on my blog ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using less plastic and re-using whenever possible...the labels are a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for stopping by my idea house post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wonderful blog Linda!! It's fun to stop by!

      Delete

Thank you for your positive comments!