Friday, July 12, 2013

Life after 40

I've been in denial.

But it's time to come clean.

I'm approaching middle age.

I refuse to admit that I'm middle aged this year, I'm 44. I plan on living into my 90's so this is NOT middle age. Right? (That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

Seriously though, I'm not liking all of these middle aged bodily changes. I've been wondering what's wrong with me, but apparently nothing is wrong. I'm just getting old'er".

My skin is dry... ugh.... Hello oils, hello lotions... I need you more than ever!

I have 2 age spots ON MY FACE! When I'm in the sun I always wear a baseball cap and sunscreen with spf 30.... so why why why???

I can't shift weight at all, I swim almost every day! (Well after reading an article in the health magazine "Prevention" after the age of 40 we lose muscle, and if we eat too many sugars and carbs then our bodies just make fat... fat fat fat, so we have to eat a higher protein diet so that our bodies have the building blocks to make muscle ... and if we have muscle in older age, our metabolism will speed up. So working out will shift fat and keep us lean, if we aren't losing that middle aged muscle! So I guess it's a protein diet for me now!)

And I have to get up every single night for a wee!!!

Last but not least... I decided to "Grow in my natural beautiful brunette hair"... Ya That ain't happenin! More like grey... 

Should I embrace the grey? Nope. I'm going to color it!

I'm not moaning... Honest, I'm just um... you know... stating facts and changes in my physical life. Yep that's what I'm doing!

But I want to mention some of the many bonuses of middle age. I mean... ALMOST middle age..

Now that I'm older, I'm not such a neurotic worrying mother. I'm glad I had 2 younger children far apart from the other 3, I have always loved being a mother, but now I truly enjoy them without the worry of every small fever. In fact with my first one, I was at the doctor with every runny nose!! Now If I don't see blood or broken bones...I'm not impressed... haha! I'm just kidding, but a 104 degree temperature doesn't make me flip out and lay awake at night.

I'm not as critical of people or judgmental. I've learned in my short life that there is no one that is perfect and unless you have walked in the shoes of another person, you have no right to judge them. Don't misunderstand me, this is no excuse for rudeness or crime. But we have all learned our behaviors from somewhere or someone and we have all had our own trials and tribulations that make us behave the way we do. I cut people slack. Everyone deserves a second chance.

I'm more educated with age, which for me, has helped me to feel more secure about my future and independent.

I accept myself more now. I do make mistakes, but I do my best to apologize when I have. I like who I am for the most part, I am a nice person, I don't hurt anyone on purpose, I do my best to live and let live and love unconditionally. There are always things I'd like to improve about myself as I believe everyone should always continually grow into the best person they can be. No matter what age... I've heard so many people say "I'm old enough to say what I want"... I don't agree. Age is not an excuse to be rude or mean.

Yep...I've decided that middle age isn't so bad...
Life is just getting good!

10 comments:

  1. You have a great attitude, Tammy, and I think that is the most important part of aging...just knowing who you are deep inside and accepting and dealing with life as it comes at you. You are gonna be just fine- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that age brings confidence as well as weight, you can choose to let it go or exercise, diet and dye your hair. I chose not to let it go!! Oh you forgot about the eye sight, how needles suddenly have much smaller holes and you can't read all that silly small writing on the tv!!! Just wait till you hit 50!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about it, using the tweezers much more nowadays! Also the old adage, youth is wasted on the young :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true Tammy, I spent a couple of years (as did a few friends) hurrying to the doctors as things weren't quite right - feeling hot, racy heart, weight gain etc -before it dawned that it was an age thing! I've adjusted now although I hate the weight gain and will not embrace the grey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lady after my own heart Tammy. Sadly for me at 55 I am middle aged but everyone tells me I dont look it and I certainly dont feel it. I wouldnt want to go through the teenage angst years again for anything.
    P.S. definitely NOT going to go grey, one way or the other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am coming up to 48 and I swear I feel younger now than I did when in my twenties. But and I think it is a big but I don't feel as anxious now about life I guess you realise nothing is forever and every thing changes. So don't worry be happy everything will be just fine. Oh and I am definitely going to colour my hair when the grey sets in for earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammy I'm a new blogger and just found your page to follow and at 50 I certainly don't feel middle aged (most of the time.) I must agree though that the having to get up for the loo in the night is most annoying, Oh and not being able to see properly and forever loosing my glasses that's not good either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post Tammy. Well you're 44, Anne's 55 and guess what - I'm 66 in two weeks. I also believe that you're as young as you feel and definitely no grey hair for me either!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post Tammy. Fifty is the new thirty apparently, so you are nowhere near middle age yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!