Friday, August 9, 2013

Corpus Christi and Padre Island, Texas

I wanted to share more about our trip to the Coast of Texas...

I'm not a negative person, but I have to tell you that I'm not overly fond of the state of Texas. Mostly because of the heat, it's brutally hot, I call it "The Surface of the Sun". I also don't care for the scorpions and fire ants or the grass that's like walking on pins and needles. I prefer the soft grass that grows in the North of America, Canada and England... You know that grass you can lay down on, the grass you can walk through or plop down and not worry about fire ants attacking you! Green luscious grass... Reminding me of serenity and peace. Oh, AND THE SMELL OF FRESH CUT GRASS... ahhhh....

However, I believe that there is always a positive to be found.

This is a Texas POSITIVE!
The Coastal city of  Corpus Christi and Padre Island, just off of the coast.

We stayed at the Naval Lodge at the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station. My dad is retired military so mom booked us 2 TLQ rooms. Temporary Living Quarters are places for military members to stay as they leave old or transfer into a new base, members usually stay a week or two as they are looking for a new home or clearing out an old one before moving. We had 2 TLQ's, they were both like small luxery apartments with 2 bedrooms each. We were all very comfortable and loved our rooms. There were kitchens available as well so we enjoyed having a cook out after the beach on one of the nights.
The first day, we just wanted to hit the beach! We went to Padre Island, the water was warm, the beach was clean and the sand was perfect! Christopher went fishing instead of going to the beach, and he continued to fish for 3 days straight... Hours and hours and hours of fishing, I don't understand fishing like that. That boy loves to fish! He only took a break to go to the Aquarium with us.

Me doing what I do best...
Chris doing what he does best...

We went to The Texas State Aquarium the second day, and of course... The beach again. The 2nd trip to the beach was on a beach near the Aquarium, this Corpus Christi beach was nice, but not as nice as Padre Island. The sand was more sand mixed with tiny pebbles. I don't know about anyone else, but I love white soft small grain sand, maybe I was spoiled by the beaches of Guam? We still had a great time, and that's what matters. I didn't get in the water this time, I just sat and watched the children play and enjoyed watching the ocean and the crashing waves. The sound of the ocean brings calm for me.

The Girls in the family... Hannah and Guinevere
My gorgeous Princess Hannah
Or 
Peanut Butter and Hannah Jelly Sandwich
Or Hannah Banana
Or Banana Pudding... You get the picture

 Andrew... "Drew Boy" or "Andy Man"
 Hannah makes friends everywhere!
Getting a close up of the Sea Horses
Andy having a peek as well

The best part of The Texas State Aquarium? Petting the stingrays!! I loved it, we all did, but no one got as much enjoyment as Christopher did, he spent a long time there petting those rubbery little creatures, one particular little guy kept jumping up out of the water.

My Christopher
Christopher will be 17 in 2 weeks, he has Alopecia Areata, a few months ago, around Christmas of last year, he started to lose his hair, he now has no body hair left. I feel so bad for him, but he doesn't let it define who he is. He's always loved nature and being out on the ranch, hunting or fishing. His first bought of this illness was at the age of 3. This is the first time he's lost all of his hair on his entire body, even his eyelashes and eyebrows. It breaks my heart, but he's strong and healthy, and ... well. He's awesome!
 Christophers new friend (haha)

This beautiful young lady is my amazing daughter-in-law, she is by all means a lady and she's very intelligent, I love her to pieces and I don't think Joshua could have done any better. I feel so bad that she's on her own right now, 5 hours away from family and her husband stationed in the Middle East. She's a strong one though, and I know she will get through, and when the holidays come around, of course we will be there for her. She's an amazing human being! I'm blessed to be able to call her daughter.
Here she's ready to fish...
Enjoying the Ocean

The 3rd day, we didn't spend too much time on the beach, we checked out of our rooms and Krista fished a bit with Chris. We did go to a few gift shops, and since I didn't see anything I wanted so I bought a book instead... and a magazine :), I believe there is no such thing as "Too many" books, even if you're downsizing, because books can be passed on and cherished forever... OOOooooo I do love me some books!

This was too funny...
A beer can wind chime...
And those books... I've wanted the latest book from Dan Brown since May... Can't wait to read it!
Mom and I are canning tomatoes the end of the month, so I got this for some recipes
I have no idea what this flower is called, but it's beautiful and I couldn't resist a photo
The pier where Christopher was fishing was on the Navy base, it was a long walk but worth it as the dolphins were jumping all around. 
Until next time
Bye-Bye Beach
Have a perfect weekend!
Tammy

7 comments:

  1. What a great relaxing time you had - your accommodations look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice. Your trip looks like lots of fun and the kids all look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you all had a wonderful vacation at the beach! I am not a fan of our weather here in the south - hot and muggy. Which is why I spend most of the summer indoors. I imagine I would love summer in England.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you all had a wonderful time and made some happy memories. I enjoyed reading about all your wonderful family and getting to know them a little better. Your mystery flower looks like a hydrangea but I've never seen one with leaves like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the summer time and beach days, looks like you all had a great time. The flower looks like a Hydrangea, but the leaves don't look right, perhaps it is a different type to those that grow in uk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you found a positive. What a great thing to do as a traveler. Thank you for linking up with Belinda and I for Travel Tuesday!

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!