Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Do you compliment?

Do you compliment others?

I mean on a regular basis, I mean do you really go out of your way to tell someone that they look nice, that they have a great sense of humor, that they are great at math, that they have a great voice... Do you compliment others?

I believe that it's very important to look away from ourselves and to be happy for others, becoming too self absorbed never led to any sort of happiness, if anything it causes more anxiety, fear and over thinking.

The best way, by far, is to go through life encouraging, edifying and uplifting other people. I do this to my students on a regular basis, I do this to my children... But I've been re-thinking about how I respond to other people around me and how I am as a friend, an employee, a daughter, a sister, a partner and a work colleague.

Do I really tell people how much I appreciate them? I believe as a society (especially Americans), we "want what we want when we want it and we want it now"... Of course not getting what we want, life's everyday problems, work, children, finances and so on can send us into a quick downward spiral of negativity and self entitlement. I believe we have to make a conscious effort to be positive and to truly be happy for others.

If we are truly happy for the success of others, regardless of how small, regardless of how big, then we are self empowered, we look for nothing in return, we just want to spread pleasantness and positivity. Something the World greatly lacks enough of.

I was at the grocery store today, and I swear the clueless people were out in droves (I used another word besides "clueless' when we were out) and my negative attitude gave me a quick reality check and made me think... Are we really a product of our environment? From the way that people act as a whole these days, our learned behaviors need to be UNlearned... and in a hurry. I have to ask myself, am I part of the problem or part of the solution?

Make it your goal to compliment at least 3 times a day. At the very least, I promise you, you will feel so much better for it.

15 comments:

  1. I think you are spot on about society being too self-involved. I call it the grab and go culture. I was locked into it until fairly recently. Sometimes I can feel myself sliding back there, but I was bought up with the old adage 'do to others as you would have done to you' and that usually sorts me out.

    I have to remind myself a lot in August in St Ives. Lots of holiday makers = lot of disgruntled locals. Me included!

    Really enjoying your blog!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, you do feel happier in yourself if you're not self absorbed. People are much nicer to be around if they're giving of themselves, and I want to be that person, I don't want people to think I'm all about me me me. I try to instill this in to my kids, I've always told them to treat people as they want to be treated themselves, and that includes passing nice comments to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will always compliment people on good service and I will occasionally compliment people on what they are wearing etc, when it's something that catches eye.

    Great post.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Tammy - always good to remind ourselves :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I compliment people all the time and I probably even go overboard with it. I don't receive very many compliments though. Hmmm...maybe I should scale back. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to compliment as much as possible. It's so easy to quietly appreciate something but just not say. I think it can sometimes brighten someone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has made me stop and think Tammy. I do compliment people often but sometimes not if I'm having an 'off' kind of day (How selfish is that!) and of course other people themselves may be having an 'off' day and a compliment might change all that. Thank you.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to compliment my son and husband daily, but as you say you get so caught up in day to day life,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Tammy! I always try to compliment my family, knowing that when i do I'm telling how much I love and am proud of them. But it's also important to compliment yourself, your reaching your goals or finishing a task of even styling your hair! I found it particulary important when showing Dolly to "love herself" for who she is and accept her achievements no matter how big or small. to give herself credit on a job well done..

    It is important as a society we get nicer, we be nicer to each other. A simple compliment, smile or whatever might just brighten up the darkest of a strangers day! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do compliment others a lot, but only when I really mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammy, that is such a sweet thing to do, hand out little compliments. I try to tell people they look nice or I like their shirt or hair...some times it just doesn't take much to lift someone's spirits. it can make someone's day...we do not know what most people are going through. It would have to help i think. Oh by the way , you are so sweet...that's my hug to you. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had not really thought about this before. I think I do with my family and of course when the children were younger, you know positive behaviour stuff, like well done for talking quietly and that was good waiting!!!! You can see I work with early years children! But don't tend compliment people in general, not sure if this is a British thing to do? Perhaps I will a go (will report back soon!!!!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is advice I can use; I expect I take people for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do compliment, but probably not often enough. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!