Saturday, August 24, 2013

Happy 17th Birthday Christopher!

Yesterday was my 3rd son's birthday. 17!!! Sweet Lord where did the time go? I swear he was only a blond haired baby running around the house in his diaper only yesterday!

I'll be honest. Because all mom's know. We all have one. "That" child. The one that gives you a run for your money. "That" one child that you know the school is calling about. "That" one child that you know will get into trouble.

Yep. This is mine.

But you know what? He's awesome. I mean. Really awesome.
From about the age of 11 I have gotten almost daily, but always weekly calls home from school. Usually he was mouthing off to a teacher. But by the time he was 15 he was doing more serious things that involved the law.

I moved cities after that. I moved him closer to family, I moved him to a whole new school. And over this year, I have seen this boy change. I have seen this boy mature. I have seen him become the person that he has always wanted to be. Last year he asked for a pair of cowboy boots. I'm a city girl, his dad is a military guy... Where did this come from?

He's been hunting on and off for a couple of years now. Last year he got his first gun, now he's on the Ranch 9 out of 10 weekends. He eats what he kills (Rabbit, Snake, Boar, Deer, Turkey), he even put one of the snake skins on his cowboy hat. YEP... This boy is a Red Neck. LOL. And I LOVE it.

Why? Because he is who he is. He is proud of who he is, he is comfortable in his own skin, he doesn't go out of his way to prove anything to anyone.

Is he an angel? Oh heck no. Though we are pretty close, he's still a mouthy wind up. There are days that I tell him I'm going to put my shoe up his backside. Though He has become a lot more respectful and matured a lot this last year, he still gives me a run for my money :) but you know what? I love this kid. I love that he works hard for his money, he paints houses, he repairs houses, he does all sorts of work with my Uncle that is a builder. He wants to join the military after he graduates from High School, I will have 2 boys in the military... What are they trying to do to their momma?!?! o.0

He plays the guitar so beautifully, he's self taught and can hear a song and then play it. He's an amazing human being.

He has Alopecia Areata. It's an auto immune disease, his body thinks that his hair follicles are enemy intruders and attacks them and kills them. He has had patches of bald in his hair on and off all of his little life, it freaked me out at first, but now I've accepted it. He's accepted it all along, this is the first time in all of his young life that he has lost all of his hair, even his eyebrows and eyelashes. He just laughs it off. He's amazing.

Last night after work (LOVE my new school by the way), we went to the Western store (Lots of them here in Texas) and bought him a new pair of cowboy boots (Some of those suckers are $800!!!!) and then we took him to Logan's Steak House for dinner, my brother and his family, my uncle and his wife, and my mom were all there... He made out like a bandit, he got hunting stuff, $150, ammo and all sorts of "manly man" stuff.

I love you Christopher Michael. Happy Birthday.
I know you will be successful in life, you already rock mine and your families world... I know one day you will be an amazing man... You're already on your way.
Opening his gifts after he ate Steak and Potato
Hanging out with family.... Oh and here in the States if you tell them it's your birthday, they sing to you... haha... So Chris was properly embarrassed!
He didn't want his cake and Ice Cream!! So I helped him eat it!
And here is What Chris looks like on the weekends. Well most weekends anyway :)
Monday all the kids are back in school in Austin, Texas. It will be a crazy busy week, for my kids and my job, but I love this time of year!
Have a great weekend!!
Tammy

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Tammy, do you think the kids who give you the most trouble also put their all into loving you too? My number 2 son seems to have the strongest feelings about everything!

    Happy Birthday to your Christopher - looks like he's all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree what a lovely post about your son. Happy Birthday to him.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 3 sons and my middle one is my 'challenging' one, so I totally relate to your post - he is also the most loving so there are always benefits - A very happy birthday to Christopher! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your on, he sounds like the little boys I used to love when I was teaching preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Christopher. You've got such handsome sons. What's this about him not wanting that delicious looking cake and ice cream though, I'd have helped him eat it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh what a lovely read this was, he is a lucky boy to have such a lovely mum. Happy Birthday to you Christopher xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Christopher. He sounds like a nice young man who is figuring out what he wants out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I just loved this post Tammy. You tell it how it is and give us a peek into your family life. Best wishes to the birthday boy.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So he was sounding pretty cool until I read where he passed on the ice cream! I mean, really, who does that?!? ;o) Just kidding...he sounds like a handful, but a lovable handful. Happy birthday to Christopher!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!