Thursday, August 1, 2013

Scarab Artifact

While we were on Padre Island, at The Texas State Aquarium and in Corpus Christi, we were bombarded with all sorts of souvenirs, whatever you could fathom in your mind that could be done with a sea shell... was done! And you could buy it! The only thing that really upset me was the dried out Sea Horses, I hate when people kill creatures just to put them on display.

So as I personally fought my way through the abyss of hemp and seashells... I remembered when I was in London in November of last year, I met up with old friends and posted about it HERE. We went to the British Museum together (IT was AMAZING)... While we were there Megan and Jane picked up a little scarab bead for me. I brought it home and put it on a piece of leather, it's simple and it's me. I like to keep things simple.
It reminds me of the color of Tower Bridge.
I am a very curious so I had to look up exactly WHY the scarab was so popular.
I found this... Via Wiki.
"Scarabs were popular amulets in ancient Egypt. According to ancient Egyptian myths, the sun (Ra) rolls across the sky each day and transforms bodies and souls. Modeled upon the "Scaraba Eldae" family dung beetle, which rolls dung into a ball for the purposes of eating and laying eggs that are later transformed into larva, the scarab was seen as an earthly symbol of this heaven cycle. This came to be iconographic, and the ideological symbols were incorporated into ancient Egyptian society. 

Kinda cool right?
I hope you have a great up coming weekend!
Tammy

3 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous colour! I hate to see dried out sea horses but I hate to see coral even more, as it's a whole ecosystem and when it dies many other things die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your bracelet, and it is a beautiful color! I too hate to see animals killed for display. Fun to be reminded of Tower Bridge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when jewelry has a bit of history to it. I really like the simplicity of this bracelet, but it also has such a bold fun color to it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!