Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Dual Language Program

Such a proud mom.
Hannah is now reading and writing in Spanish
Last year at the age of 7 Hannah's Elementary School asked me if I would like to enroll her in the Spanish/English Dual language program, at first I was very apprehensive, as they teach 3 days a week in Spanish only and 2 days a week in English only. I was so worried that she would get very behind in Math (She is in gifted and talented advanced math) and Reading. But just the opposite happened, she actually doubled her reading level and she continued to keep all of her grades high. It turns out that when you open the part of your brain that processes new languages you get all sort of new neurons growing and firing off! I'm so proud of Hannah, last year she only understood some words, but this year, at age 8 she is writing and reading Spanish, when she reads out loud in Spanish I swear that tears come to my eyes. I'm such a big baby.
Here's Hannah before school today... She's my Angel! I'm a very proud mom!

11 comments:

  1. That is wonderful! She will love having another language ~ it is like having an ace up your sleeve when travelling. Bravo Hannah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that she will find other languages easier to learn in the future. What a great thing for her school to do. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super idea! Super girl and super proud Momma! Go Hannah! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to her she sounds like she is loving it. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right to be proud Tammy, she's a super star! That's a great idea I wish we had it here, I don't know of any school that does it. Enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome!! I wish that system was more widely used! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammy, I think that is brilliant. I'm in favour of all children learning another language, they are like sponges when young and pick it up in no time. Well done to her!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic, well done to Hannah. Both my kids dropped their language classes just as soon as they could, even though they'd been learning Spanish for about four or five years by then. They just didn't enjoy learning another language. They take after me as I did exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just great, Tammy! And isn't she just a little darling!
    BTW, love that header - of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel your pride! My kid went through the bilingual English/French program here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must be so proud Tammy. It's an excellent idea to learn another language at this age. Well done Hannah.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!