Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chicken, Brown Rice and Kale Soup

I have a secret. I've never had kale before.
But I have seen it a lot in the store, and when I saw a recipe for it, I had to try it.

I'm cutting all refined carbohydrates (sugars) out of my life, that doesn't mean Never have them, but I was having them daily, and they have decided to make themselves in the form of fat on my backside. No Bueno!

So in replacing "White sugar and White carbs", I've gone on the hunt for recipes with brown rice. I've only had brown rice one other time and I wasn't amused, but then, I was sort of expect a white rice taste. Brown rice is more filling with a richer and nuttier taste. After using it in this recipe and tasting how delicious it is... I'm going to use it a lot more!
Before I cooked the soup I went and stocked up on fresh veg and fruit. There is no way I can have a slip and head for the fridge when there is nothing in there unhealthy!
I looked at the Recipe online but decided to make my own.

You will need:
2 Large Chicken Breasts
One small onion
On Large stalk of celery
A handful of baby carrots
2 large leaves of kale
1 cup of Brown Rice
A pinch of salt
A pinch of celery seasoning
Pepper to taste

I boiled the chicken breasts for about 20 minutes with the salt, pepper and celery seasoning and about 10 cups of water. After it was cooked, I removed the chicken breast from the pot and diced it into tiny pieces, I then turned down the heat and added in the diced onions, carrots, celery and the rice. Afterwards I covered the soup and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Only after the soup was finished did I add the kale, I simmered the soup covered for about another 10 minutes.

This made roughly 3 servings
I had a friend say she would serve it with crispy bread ... That sure sounds delicious! Why must carbohydrates be the enemy? :)

This soup was DELICIOUS!
It could easily be made vegetarian.
It's low fat, low salt, low sugar and extremely nutritious!
You must try it!
Tammy x

14 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful and I will try it, Tammy. I developed a liking for brown rice, too. Do you know you can bake kale pieces and they become "chips". You have to watch them close though because they go from crisp to burnt in a NY minute.
    Here's the link in case you want to try them. They stand in for potato chips in a crunch (no pun intended)- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious. I love kale, it's something which grows well at the allotment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried kale either. I'll have to see if I can find it in the store here. How did your kids like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comfort food in bowl ... looks delish. M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds good, Tammy. I love kale, it's really good in soups. I'm glad this recipe was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good Tammy and sounds delicious. I'm trying to like brown rice but can't quite take to it I'm afraid, not on its own at least. I know it's good for you but ....Good luck with your healthy eating and I'll let you know what I think about the soup.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like brown rice, and we don't have it often enough, or kale, which I like too - perhaps I will have to give this a try. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious and healthy too, well done you. I'm going to try and grow some kale next year, it's a great vegetable. I've made the kale crisps and they were great. Couldn't persuade the children to eat them though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks a gorgeous soup! I have never tried kale...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great Tammy. I love home made soup. You can't beat it and you certainly know what is going in it. Nothing extra that you don't want xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good, I have never had Kale either, but I do love brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay...you sold me. I pinned it. Maybe I'll try it next week. So do I drain any of that water out after the breasts are done cooking? Or does it all stay in the pot. And do I cut the chicken into bite size pieces before I cook it, or after?

    Oh, one more - how many people does this serve?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like the perfect food for chilly Autumn days. If you fancy a change of flavour, wild rice is nice too. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this tonight! We LOVED it! I added a little more salt than a pinch, but otherwise kept it exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!