Monday, December 2, 2013

Meaningful Mondays... Thanksgiving

I don't have a perfect family.
In fact, we are probably more like a tree of nuts.
We Love, we fight, we make up, we forgive, we forget, we grow and we laugh.
But we have the BEST holidays together. The Best!

This Thanksgiving mom offered to do the dinner, when my mom does something, it's never ever "just a little bit"... She goes all out. ALL OUT. I think we had like 13 desserts... I can't even begin to remember all that was on the dessert table, but I know mom set up a separate large table in the living room for all of the sweets.

Mom prepared for 3 days! I worked one of the days, but I did help a bit... Hannah helped a lot. (Did I mention mom cooked for 3 days??), Hannah and I went over to help a couple of times, but my mom moves at a speed where you don't want to get in her way! You'll end up in the broth!

There was so much preparation...
My mom yelled at me for distracting Hannah for photo opportunities... :)
 Hannah loves to cook and bake, she was more than happy to help her Mamaw.
 How can I not take pictures of my little peanut?
My mothers Pomeranian all had their little selves about... in the kitchen... non stop! They stalk you if they think you have food!
My brother Lee and Heather always do a fried Turkey, I don't really like fried turkey, I always think that the meat tastes like it's been soaked in water. I'm not a big meat eater to start with so I'm very picky... But it's a HUGE hit at my mom's house.
Here is My sister in law Heather frying... Isn't she a cutie?
The main meal consisted of...
2 fried turkeys 
A spiral cut ham
Fresh baked yams
Candied sweet potatoes 
Mashed potatoes
Sausage stuffing
 Vegetarian stuffing
Green bean casserole 
Broccoli casserole
Creamed corn 
Hawaiian rolls
Turkey gravy
AND
Vegetarian gravy!
Whew. Needless to say, after we ate, I don't think any of us could move.
 The food was so delicious!
And you guessed it. The dogs weren't far!
My oldest son and his fiance were there and I got the rare photo of him, he's not my little boy anymore so I can't get away with following him around with a camera!... I would if I could, you know I would!
Here is my Nicholas...
And here's his lovely fiance...
I even snuck in a photo of my Christopher while he played the guitar!
(Chris has Alopecia Areata, An Auto-Immune disease that causes all of your hair to fall out, as your body recognizes your hair follicles as an enemy and kills them)
Christopher plays the guitar so very beautifully... I love to hear him practice in his room at night.
And my silly Andy... ALWAYS silly.
The only thing missing was my son Joshua, but as you know he's in the Middle East and we won't see him until late January. I miss him so much...

Last but not least, I want to share my brother and his wife. They are special to me, though we don't get to spend as much time together as I would like, they are busy... I am busy... But we always make sure the cousins spend time together and we all spend time with my mom, life has a way of keeping family distracted with many things, but you know... That's what the holidays are for, Bringing together family.
I'm so blessed to have my family... And these two crazies :)
Heather and Lee...
Thank you mom, for all of your hard work over the Thanksgiving holiday, we are so blessed to have you in our lives, I love you so much!
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday,
Peace be yours,
Tammy

13 comments:

  1. Your holiday sounds wonderful, those smiles say it all. (So does that menu list!) Have a wonderful December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful holiday, Tammy. I'm glad you had such a nice time together. And that really is a ton of food, I can't believe you still had multiple desserts after that! I bet they were delicious too, just like the dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. How wonderful for you all have that time together. The food sounds incredible, well done to your mum. I do like the sound of a whole table of desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as though you had a great if filling thanksgiving, how great that you were all involved in preparing the meal together. A great post for your meaningful Monday. Hope that you have a really great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family. Those times together with family are the best. They remind me of our family meals together to celebrate special occasions. The ones in Italy are even bigger as my husband comes from a big family with lots of brothers and sisters. I'm glad my children have been brought up with their cousins - all very close. Do you do the family meal all over again at Christmas?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a wonderful thanksgiving, both in preparation of it and at the time itself. there's nothing to beat friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a lot of food and a lot of work, especially by your Mum, well done her she is a saint. I love the idea of fried turkey! I, like you, do soak mine in water but it was too much of a comedy show to the neighbours every time I took a bird out of the bucket each year and grappled with getting it out cleanly while the dog was trying to grab a wing! You have a great family there Tammy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food you had is VERY similar to what we always eat at my grandmother's in Tennessee! And then there are leftovers for dayssss. :o) I'm so glad you got to spend time with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely family you have Tammy, and such a lovely spread made by your Mum! Heather X

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such a lovely family. Thanksgiving is a great way to bring all the family together, it's a holiday we should have over here too. I'm sorry Joshua couldn't be with you but it will be wonderful when you get to see him at the end of January. Your Thanksgiving meal sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely family holiday, special times. And that is a mountain of food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like lovely time spent with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What am amazing feast!!! Wow you must have felt like stuffed turkey's afterwards. I'm so impressed. Your family look and sound amazing!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!