Tuesday, December 3, 2013

World Wide Thanks

American Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year. To me it means family, reflection and hope.

Thanksgiving is not something I look upon with ancestor pride. The American Indian Tribes that we turned to for survival were eventually very nearly wiped off of the map, as we chased them from their land and murdered the majority. Gruesome right? I never really thought about it until I had to take an American history class at University that taught about Native American history from both the "white" man perspective and the "Indian" man perspective. It was a real eye opener.

But ya know.... Which Country on this entire planet can we say is without fault ... without bloodshed and without crime?

None of us are without some sort of shame. I believe every Country around the world should have a day dedicated to being publicly thankful. Yes, we "should" always count our blessings but life has a way of taking hold of us and spinning us in several directions at once, often leaving us to wonder if we are coming or going. Dedicating a day of Thanksgiving makes us reconsider our busy lives and to remember to be grateful.

And so I write this to remind myself just how blessed I am and that I need to be grateful on a regular basis.

I am Thankful for…

My children...
Nicholas Constantine
Joshua Benton
Christopher Michael
Andrew Chrzan
Hannah Rose

My Mother
My Health
My Upstairs Apartment (I feel safer)
Having a good job
Having good health benefits
Having a paid off car
I'm thankful God has given me a desire to travel... It makes me save money better.
I'm thankful for England and it's rich history.
I'm thankful for my freedom.
I'm thankful my children have a good father.
I'm thankful he pays child support.
I'm thankful for Joshua's safety while he's in The Middle East.
I'm thankful for my many diverse friends.
I'm thankful for my creativity.
I'm thankful for my eternal optimism.
I'm thankful for the parts of my past that are painful, it has shown me how I don't want to live and how to strive for better.
I'm thankful for a family that loves me.
I'm thankful for the women that my sons love.
I'm thankful for books!
I'm thankful for my faith in Christ Jesus.
I'm thankful for being able to listen to Chris play his classical guitar.
I'm thankful for the laughter I just heard from Andy & Hannah.
I'm thankful to live in an age of technology.
I'm thankful for the desire to write.
I'm thankful for my education.
I'm thankful for my sense of humor.
I'm thankful for the Downs Syndrome kids I work with, they've made my heart grow.
I'm grateful for the Autistic children I work with. What a blessing they are!!
I'm thankful for freedom of religion.
Though I'm not too materialistic, I'm grateful for my new Nikon d3200! Paid for cash.
I'm grateful I have no credit card debt.
I'm thankful that I can hold my daughter every night as she falls asleep, even though she's 8 years old.

What are you thankful for?
What do you think about having a World Thanksgiving Day?

I hope you’re having a rocking week!
Tammy

14 comments:

  1. Tammy, , I love your thankful list. We all need to make one to look upon every now and then. Blessings for the season...you know the Reason.:) xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am of Cherokee descent, my grandmother and great grandmother being on the Dawes Roll (when the Cherokee lands were divided up in the early 1900's) and hold a tribal membership card. The Cherokees, like many other tribes were treated horribly, but as you said, every country has a history of this, think Angles, Saxons, Normans etc.
    I'm thankful for my family, my health, my love of books and traveling to name but a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for having a worldwide thanksgiving day, not about religion or heritage or national pride. Just being thankful for whatever you have in life.

    I am thankful to have found you Tammy and that you have so many wonderful things to be thankful for!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Janet, I have Cherokee ancestry. My father is 1/16th Cherokee and is eligible to join the Nation as such. Where I live, there is an enormous Native population and we do not have Columbus Day here. They don't close schools that day or anything, and I think it's appropriate not to, given the history. I'm thankful for so much in my life, I feel very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also thankful for the Internet, blogs and all the people who write their blogs and have become friends. I love reading their stories, just the everyday stuff from all over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your thoughful 'thankful' list, Tammy! I think that's one of the reasons I hate to see stores open on Thanksgiving. It does seem like we could at least set aside one measly day to contemplate our many blessings. It made me smile to read your list, and I'm thankful right along with you. Enjoy that camera! So glad you don't have credit card debt. It is ruinous! So glad you're a mom who adores her children and thanks God for them.

    I'm thankful for a Rescuer, Jesus Christ; for my family and home; for living in the country; for our dogs and cat; for friends; for books; for hopes of returning to England; for hope of spring after winter. Many blessings, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we've all got lots to be thankful for, and we should all celebrate as such. Glad to hear you got your camera, have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful thankful list and sometimes it does us the world of good to actually write it down. I think it is a wonderful idea, something we should all do a little more often. Apologies for the delay in getting my email to you, here goes: stiana.hubert4@gmail.com. Enjoy your day xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy thats a brilliant list of things to be thankful for. XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an inspiring post. I was feeling very low today and you have completely sorted my blues. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great things to be thankful for. I wish we had something like thanksgiving in the UK. I'm really thankful for all the little things in life at the moment, as I'm in a difficult situation work wise and it is so easy to feel depressed about it all so I'm trying hard to be thankful for what I have got and grateful for all the good things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Tammy, I am thankful for just a moment or two of quiet in my chaotic house! By the way, just in case you didn't know, your settings have gone back to a no reply blogger. I bet you're not thankful for that :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely, lovely list. There is so much to be thankful for in your life, you are blessed indeed. I have really come to appreciate your US tradition of Thanksgiving (although we don't celebrate it here in the UK) as I think it's good for everyone to stop and count their blessings now and then. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!