Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Out of Order" Red Telephone Boxes

It's really not a secret.

I'm ever so slightly obsessed with Red Telephone Boxes.

I don't recall when my obsession began, but you can bet your bottom dollar, it's not going anywhere, any time soon!

So this past trip to London I knew I couldn't go another day without seeing this art piece by David Mach.
This sculpture has a total of 12 red phone boxes tipped over on their side that are soldered together, it's located in a part of London called Kingston upon Thames, or just "Kingston" for short and are on "Old London Road", across from a Police Station that dates back to 1864 (Which isn't old by England standards). The sculpture itself was unveiled in 1989.
I have to be honest, even though my heart skipped a little happy beat of joy to be near this lovely sculpture of phone boxes, they really aren't well taken care of. In fact... I'm wondering if anyone has had a go at restoration in months. They are broken in many places and there is a lot of damage to the one on the end. It's really quite sad, but I'm sure there are many people that like to run up and down them after a few pints, even though there is a sign that clearly says NO CLIMBING! 
Though there is a lot of repair currently needed on these 12 leaning iconic boxes, I would say they really are worth the trip to see. Because well, they are just cool! And it's not everyday you get to see 12 phone boxes knocked over like dominoes! A bonus is a trip to Kingston, which has the River Thames running by it, hosting lovely pubs with great views. Kingston is a bustling area full of shops and restaurants. 
If you have a few hours to spare, you won't regret a trip to Kingston! And don't forget to stop by those phone boxes!

I'm still fighting a bit of jet lag, I haven't unpacked yet and I'm slightly depressed to be away from England again. But I'm so blessed to be able to say that it was a phenomenal trip with days full of laughter, fun, friends and exploring!

I hope you're having a rocking week!
Tammy x

23 comments:

  1. Looks like you have had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful time, Tammy! How jealous I am!! You know I'm a big fan of red phone boxes too. I'd love to see that. I'm so glad you got to go. Hope the jet lag subsides soon. I only seem to feel it upon returning stateside, never upon arriving in London. Hmmm. I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may just have found your perfect spot! Love these photos and the installation. Hope they take care of it. All that and swans. I think it sounds like a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, Tammy. I am so glad you had a wonderful time...and that you got to see your beloved red box phone booths! Glad you are home...we had a new baby girl while you were gone....yes.we.did! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking forward to hearing more Tammy, glad you enjoyed your trip, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! But kind of sad that they've fallen into disrepair. Maybe you can lead the campaign to revive them when you move over! :)

    I'm glad you made it home safe and you got your luggage back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to have you over here again Tammy!!! Glad that you got to see your phone boxes, even if they are a little battered! Hope that you have a really great visit, looking forward to hearing all about it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy, I would have loved seeing the phone booths in person. Glad you had fun and returned home safe. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a great time Tammy. I need to get along there to take a look before too much damage is done. Did you notice any black phone boxes that now have wifi? How the telephone box has come along in London!! Hope to see you when you next come over xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of these fallen phone boxes! Now I'm going to try to hunt them out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are home again safe and sound Tammy and it sounds as though you had a fabulous time. Sorry we couldn't meet up in London but perhaps next time.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed your trip Tammy,I cant wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a good trip, Tammy, and that you got to see the phone box sculpture. We were in Kingston last year as we went to the theatre to see a production in which our grandson was taking part. We enjoyed the river, but missed the phone box sculpture, which looks impressive despite the disrepair. Looking forward to more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sculpture was made for you. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen photos of the phone box sculpture but not in real life - it looks such fun. Glad you had a fantastic trip, can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so cool, I didn't realise those phone boxes were on permanent display, although I've seen them in photos before, I think I'll have to add them to my things-to-do-next-time-I'm-in-London list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We still have a lovely old red telephone box on our village green, which unbelievably, still works. I'm going to try and remember to take a photo and send it to you! M x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you had a great time in the UK! I really enjoyed following your pictures on Instagram - if you come back here and come up to Yorkshire it would be so great to meet up! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. great post!I looooooove the red phone boxes!:))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you visit them when you were in London? "The Out of Order" phone boxes? The thing is they are wayyyyy out of the city center of London. There is so much to do in London in the first place, it's a bit overwhelming, I go a couple of times a year and I find new things to do every single time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I go to London once a year only:( I've seen many telephone boxes (and taken pictures of them) but I still haven't seen The Out of Order installation. I don't know why!! I MUST see it! :)) Will do on my next visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. If we are there at the same time, we should get a cuppa together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!