Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Monument. London, England

Way back in 1666 (The year I was born) you might have heard of a fire that started inside of a Bakery, in London, England.
The first of the fire began on the street of Pudding Lane, early in the morning on the 2nd of September. The flames destroyed almost everything in it's path, including St. Paul's Cathedral. The inferno raged for 3 days before being put out by gunpowder. Londoners successfully used the powder to blow up houses and stop the fire.
During this time of London's history, there was no fire brigade, the people of England had very little experience with putting out fires. Leather buckets, axes and water squirts were used to try to thwart the blaze.
It is speculated by many historians that the Great London Fire was actually a blessing in disguise, as it wiped out many of the homes that had just a year earlier been succumbed to The Bubonic Plague, the plague had wiped out 1/5 of London (Though no one knows for sure exactly, as there was no census done back then).

Once inside, it's actually very small...

And thus begins the 311 stair climb to the top... way way way up!

This particular climb made me realize that my daily treadmill workout, just wasn't cutting it! 
But the views on the way up were fantastic!

Once at the top, the stairs still goes further, but the display on the top of the monument, is closed off to the public.

The Reward of 311 (Felt like 3,329) stairs?
THE PHENOMENAL VIEWS OF LONDON!

They are BREATH TAKING!
And  yes, the cranes seem to be a permanent fixture in the London skyline! 

Unfortunately you are "fenced" in on top, apparently more people have died committing suicide off of the top of the Monument than died in the Great Fire of London, so the fence is not going anywhere, anytime soon!

The climb to the top was completely worth it!

The Cost to go to the top of the Monument is only 3 Pounds, which is dirt cheap to get into anywhere in London!

The stairs are very narrow in the Monument, the sneakers I had on kept catching on the stairs as I went down, there was a little girl behind me moaning to her mum that I was going too slow! Ha! Keep in mind, as you're creeping back down the spiral, never ending stairs, there are people coming up!! So someone has to snug up against the railing or the wall... Call me a big chicken if you must, but I went up and back down! And I'm afraid of heights!

See... It's a long way down!

I shared in this experience with a lovely lady that runs a travel website about London, Called "3 Days in London" I don't think many people know London like Cindy does, and she will share with you a side of London that few see. Cindy also has an app that you can put on your phone. She will help make your traveling to London a pleasant experience, catered to the things that you love!

Look for this symbol!

If you would like to know more about The Monument, visit their website HERE

  • The Monument to the Great Fire of London, more commonly known simply as the Monument, is a stone Roman Doric column in the City of London, near the northern end of London Bridge, which commemorates the Great Fire of London. Wikipedia
  • AddressFish Street Hill, London EC3R 8AH, United Kingdom
  • Height203' (62 m)
  • Opened1677
  • Phone+44 20 7626 2717
  • Architectural stylesDoric order, Ancient Roman architecture

  • Read about the London Fire Brigade HERE

  • It's been a week since I was in splendid England, of course I'm pining for it, as my heart lives there. Every day of my visit was perfect. People must wonder what it is about my own country that I want to get away from... Well Nothing to be honest, I love the United States of America; I would never give up my citizenship and I love so much about my own country. But there is just something... Everything about the UK that won't let me stay away. England even "smells" different... There is a wetness to the air, even on the driest of days. There is a smell of "Old" and musty mold in much of England, it's not a putrid smell, but a welcoming smell of history. In the many places that you might explore, you may glimpse American ancestry as well; I don't need to remind anyone that our Country was founded by people from Britain. However, it's not American history that I seek, it's all of history, it's the World's history, it's being able to touch a stone that was laid in the 1400's or even being able to stand in a spot that held a roman amphitheater in AD 70. It's not about one thing in particular, it's about the history, the diversity, the views, the people... So until I'm finished with my Science Degree and able to teach in the UK, I will continue to go back, because each time I come back to the States after travel to Great Britain, I return a more affluent, enlightened and more profound human being.

    I hope you're all having a brilliant weekend, and have an even better week!
    Tammy xx

    18 comments:

    1. Tammy I have learned something today! Very informative. It is many years since we visited London, more than I can remember really but it would be nice to go and spend a few days there again.Glad you had a great time.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Awwww, this is great Tammy!! And wow!! Thanks so much for including my blog & app in your blog...that's just amazing. What a fab day we had, over too soon!! But we walked through thousands of years of London's Awesome history...up 311 steps then down...not everyone can lay claim to that!! ;) Thanks for sharing part of your journey with me.. Looking forward to the next trip xx Cindy

      ReplyDelete
    3. We climbed to the top of the Monument in 2012, just as the Shard was being finished, it was wonderful. Then last year we actually went to the top of the Shard - it was like being in an aircraft it is so high!

      Helenxx

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love England, too, and long to return. I know some about the fire but didn't realize there was a monument there. You make a great point about the plague -- possibly a blessing in disguise. I have to say those views would be gorgeous, though like you, heights aren't my thing and I fear I would have taken the express route down the steps and ended up in the ER as a result. Looks amazing! Keep posting England!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I am so glad you had a good time in England, Tammy. I know your heart is there but we are glad to have you home safe and sound. xo Diana

      ReplyDelete
    6. Great pictures Tammy. I would love to visit London one day. Take care, xoxo,Susie

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thank you for sharing your experience of climbing up those narrow spiral stairs to the top of The Monument and the views over London from the top. It's something I would love to do if I had the opportunity to visit London, although I would have to have a lot of energy on the day! I do appreciate your enthusiasm for England. Have a good week, Tammy.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Looks like you have made the most of your holiday.

      ReplyDelete
    9. What a wonderful adventure. The children learn about the fire of London at school, I know they would have loved to climb up to the top of the monument. Glad you had such a happy trip here, I do hope you can move here soon, I know you will love it.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Glad that you had a good time! I would have been way too scared to go up or down those stairs as I hate cantilevered stairs especially spiral ones! You are therefore very brave in my eyes. xx

      ReplyDelete
    11. Wow what a view worth climbing all those steps I'm sure. Glad you all enjoyed it x

      ReplyDelete
    12. What a view! But I have a fear of heights that would never let me go that high, so thanks for the pictures.
      Completely understand your fascination with England, can't count the number of times we've been there and yet can't wait to go back--counting days already.

      ReplyDelete
    13. That's really interesting Tammy, and what a view from the top! You sound like you had the best of times in London.

      ReplyDelete
    14. My husband said to tell you that the best view he ever had in London was when they were repairing the roof on Westminster Cathedral and they were letting people go up on the roof for a £. He has no fear of heights so he went, needless to say I didn't.

      ReplyDelete
    15. Now Tammy did you get the certificate to say you had been to the top? Reading and looking at your shots of the Monument gave me such memories of burning legs and using those little nodules on the bannister to help pull me up after half way. It's not for the claustrophic is it??!! Did you go to Pudding Lane too? Have a great week xx

      ReplyDelete
    16. I'm so proud of you for making it to the top...and staying there this time! :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. You're back!! So glad you had a good time and haven't become disillusioned with us yet, hehe!! We went up Monument a couple of years ago, having never even seen it before(!). Boy, did my legs ache went we got to the top, but you are right, the view really is worth it. We're off to London for 3 days in a couple of weeks, having managed to get a mega deal on a very upmarket hotel with spa ... woo hoo! We're going to explore the area around Greenwich a bit more this time and have promised Little Man a return visit to the science Museum. M xx

      ReplyDelete
    18. Ah, I'm touched and honoured that you love our country so much. You know, i never even knew that monument existed and, since I can't stand spiral staircases (so winding and claustrophic!) I'm not in a hurry to go up it. But wow, what great views of tower bridge from the top. x

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for your positive comments!