Saturday, July 5, 2014

Crayon Melting!

There is more to life than traveling the Globe.
Like... Crayon Melting for instance :)
I'd like to blame this on the children, or the many broken crayons that we have, but the truth is, I just wanted to melt crayons!

Because I have been working this summer and I usually have summers off, and because I've been studying a lot, my daughter hasn't had as much of  mom as she's used to. SO I made Fridays "Friday Fun Day" at our house. Hannah is absolutely obsessed with crafting and homemaking, I seriously don't know where she gets it. Well... Okay I get the crafting part, because I'm all about making and trying, but that girl is making home made cakes from scratch now, She's 9! ! When her brother bought his first house and moved in last week (at the age of 21, woohooo! GO JOSHUA!) Hannah decided she would make something for Joshua's wife, so she whipped up 2 pot holders, I told her I wanted some too... she told me "I could wait"... haha! She also does origami, crochet's, makes jewelry, sews by hand, writes stories and is obsessed with watching tutorials on youtube! Wait... This blog is not about my daughter!! It's about this...

Breaking up old crayons... (Make sure you get off every bit of paper)
I was like a kid, sniffing crayons (Have you ever opened up a new box of crayons and sniffed them? No? Well... trust me, the old ones don't have that same memory smell!).

First things first, I used two baking pans, one was just a mini muffin pan, and the other was a special cookie sheet from Easter, I thought it could pass as summer fun as well, so we loaded up crayons in it.
How cute is this cookie sheet? I bought it like 2 years ago and haven't used it, but then ... I melt crayons in it! See what I'm like? :)
Then began the fun part... Well fun for me, the girls (My niece helped as well) kept giving up out of boredom of taking paper off of crayons, so I had to keep telling them their tins weren't full enough! Of course you really have to use your imagination on that one, "guesstimate" about how the crayons will melt and fill up your tin.

I baked mine on 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
They melt VERY fast! I would say that they were in the oven roughly 5-7 minutes. 
When they come out of the oven they are BOILING hot. I mean obviously... they've been in an oven!
They were perfectly filled, and as I moved them from the oven to the table, I was worried about them spilling and well... I spilled them anyway! All over the table as well, but no worries, as they dry, they come right off of a wood table and the medal pan. Just wait for them to completely solidify.
                         I loved taking these pictures, it was like my own mini molten lava experiment!
So we have re-used bits of crayon that would have normally ended up in the trash! They are just as perfect to use for coloring after they are melted as when they were first bought. Just look at the colors! I'm so tempted to enlarge this photo and hang it on the wall!
Here's the finished product!
No oil or spray is needed because the crayons just pop out of the pan when they are cooled off, you just need to flip the pan upside down and give it a tap!
I seriously want the kids to use up more crayons so I can do this craft again! I mean who doesn't love crayons and color and art and and and...

If you have children (Or aren't embarrassed as an adult to admit you color), then you need to give this a try! It's great stress release!

You'll need:
Crayons (Peeled)
Any baking sheets you have or want to use
a 275 degree Oven
And...Towel or Wax paper to flip your crayons out on

Have fun and I can't wait to see your photos!

I hope you're having a fantastic weekend!
Tammy x

11 comments:

  1. Tammy, How very cute and clever your daughter is. I like that she made those pot holders. My girls have made them thru the years for many aunts and me. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that looks like great fun! Can't wait till my niece is a bit bigger then I can do this with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so much fun Tammy!! Unfortunately my two don't have crayons anymore so I will just have to go and buy some now!! Love the changes to your blog too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tammy, sorry I havent popped by recently. Sooo busy and time flies! I love the smell of crayons too and like colouring with them, its one of the things I enjoy with my 2nd youngest granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tammy,

    Oh what fun that looks and love the results. I know what you are saying about the smell of crayons when you open the new box. Coloured pencils have that amazing smell too and remember been back at school, many many years ago.
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend and many thanks for visiting me.
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this looks like so much fun. Hannah sounds like an amazing girl with all the wonderful things she can do. I love the fact you've called Friday Fun Day. No excuse for not having a good time now. Take care.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great fun, I once left my crayons on the back shelf of a friends car, I was only little and they all melted in the sun! her dad, was a bit cross! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that you have lots of colourful fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so beautiful ... to good to use now!! M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a brilliant idea Tammy, and what a talented daughter you have too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!