Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Shopping on Baker Street?

When you think about shopping in London you might think about Portobello Road Market, Harrods or Oxford Street... However, I'm sure that Baker Street isn't the first location that springs to mind, NOT for shopping anyway... Maybe for that famous detective, His name escapes me... it's ... um... Oh yes, Sherlock Holmes :)
Technically we didn't do our shopping on Baker street, but it's a fun road to visit, for obvious reasons with all of the Sherlock business, I thought I might walk into Benedict Cumberbatch, however; he apparently had better things to do!! (Imagine that) There is the Sherlock Holmes Museum however and so many other cool places aren't far off Baker Street, like Madame Tussauds, to name one. We wanted to shop at Cath Kidston and Emma Bridgewater on a Sunday, and since there are many stores in London that aren't opened on a Sunday... as they are housed in parts of London that only business individuals tend to gather, and since there is only a trickle of patronage on the weekends, they close shop. (I learned this the hard way! So always check the websites before shopping in London on the weekends).

We met on Baker Street but actually went shopping on Marylebone High Street specifically for these 2 fantastic and extremely effeminate stores.
On this sunny Sunday in March, My lovely friend Lisa and I decided to meet at Starbucks on Baker Street, as Starbucks seems to be one place that an American can easily spot, it seemed the obvious meeting point. Oh... and while I'm on the topic of Starbucks, do keep in mind that when you order anything "skinny" in England, it doesn't mean the same as the States, I almost choked on my Skinny Vanilla Latte, which is sweet at home due to artificial sweetener, however in London it means no sweet at all, zip, none, nadda... As I sat at the table with my bitter latte, I enjoyed people watching and listened to the people on the right side of me speak what sounded like french and the other side of me, well, that table had 2 women speaking a language I wasn't familiar with, but how cool is that? London is so diverse and rich with culture, that coming into constant contact with people from all over the world is not uncommon but actually very common place. I truly love that city!
Marylebone High Street ...
Cath Kidston is hard to walk into without wanting to buy everything in the store, I bought a scarf and left it at that, but I honestly wanted one of everything! There isn't an inch of this store that we didn't explore, it's seriously so very English!
Isn't it hard not to covet?
                        Cath Kidston is home to many feminine designs in fashion and for the home.
Personally, I think Lisa should have bought the dress!
So much to look at!

My infamous Cath Kidston Scarf that I would normally never pay $40 for, but you do crazy things on holiday... and well, I was in London! My most favorite city in the World!
Baker Street and Marylebone High Streets are both lovely streets to mosey down, as most streets in London, they have beautiful personality.
The infamous detective Holmes is always lurking about on the Street corners as well!
The Emma Bridgewater store isn't far from Cath Kidston and it goes without saying that Emma Bridgewater has some of the most beautiful pieces of kitchen pottery in England! 
The Marylebone High Street store opens up at 11am on Sundays, since the shopkeeper was a bit late, we stood outside where I snapped photos, I was so excited once inside I didn't think to take photos once in the shop!
I bought a lovely Emma Bridgewater mug for myself
                And a lovely cup and plate for my daughter, How cute is this pattern?... Hannah adores it!
I encourage you to visit Emma Bridewater and Cath Kidston only if you plan on doing more than just looking, as it's almost impossible to leave empty handed!

When walking around London, you're almost always likely to bump into one of these, do make sure you say hello!

The Marylebone High Street Cath Kidston store is located at 
51 Marylebone High Street
London, W1U 5HW
0207 935 6555

The Emma Bridgewater Marylebone High Street store is located at
81a Marylebone High Street
London, W1U 4QL
0207 486 6897

Baker Street and Marylebone High Street are both well worth the visit!

I hope you're having a great week,
Tammy

11 comments:

  1. Definitely planning on visiting Baker Street, have to sneak into Cath Kidston, can't picture my husband in there, but I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good day! Emma Bridgewaters factory is not far from me (but far, from London!) she has a lovely cafe there and you can paint your own pots and buy discounted / seconds items!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend really should have bought that dress!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such an iconic place and what a shame Benedict Cumberbatch didn't give you a tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, Great pictures !! I love the cups. I bet there's plenty of lovely teacups in London. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that's stuff about London that I didn't know - and I lived/worked in/around it for 20+ years! Maybe it's something to do with shopping...? It's really great that you had such a good time. PS I really liked New York.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Tammy can't believe your walking around London again, :) I love having a browse around Cath Kidston, so many pretty things. The Emma Bridgewater factory isn't that far from me and I keep meaning to make a trip out there. Oh you found another telephone box for you photo album. I hope you really get to own one one day. Take care.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you love London so much! I lived there for three years and near there for ten! Its the best city in the world!! And, yes, I agree....you could spend all day in both those shops!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Marylebone High Street, so many cute shops, nice vibe and lots of places for a bite too. Glad you had a good time and that scarf is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a London trip planned for August, so much to see and do! I love the Emma Bridgewater china you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've written these locations down for a future visit -- please let it be soon. Although I know already that going into Cath K. would be a financial disaster for me! I suspect Emma B. would be the same -- how I loved that plate and mug! It all sounds rather perfect and such fun. You're getting my travel imagination in good gear!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!