Sunday, February 1, 2015

Everyday London

You know those photos ... The ones you've uploaded from your camera to your computer, the ones that you're organizing and putting into folders... You know the ones.

And then there are those few, you aren't quite sure what folder to put in?

As you can imagine, I have hundreds of photos of London, I'm not going to such a fabulous city without a memory capturing device!

So as I am organizing, I find that, some are just ordinary. However, they were extra-ordinary to me at the time. Obviously they provoked some feeling within, or I wouldn't have snapped them. Looking at them now, it's because, they really are... Different. By different I mean, not home, not America. They are old, they are unique. 

They are London.

A lot of London's buildings are covered in this...
Green.
Mold.
London smells different, especially in the old buildings, you can smell the earth and the old.
I love how I'm reminded of the history of this great city, just by looking. No text books needed.

 

I love that England is preserved, by every possible measure. Even if it's a wall. A lonely wall standing, among the technology and hustle passing it by.


I love walking passed old Royal mail boxes


And I'm ever so slightly obsessed with these red phone boxes, red is a bold and confident color. Perfect for London.

Though not everything is red, I love the ever dwindling police boxes that can still be seen lurking about on the streets of the city. (The damaged wall is from a bomb during WW2, also, take note... more aging green.)

The every day bus travel of London



And the homes... I love these Townhouses ...
Though I'm unsure what they call them in England


Some of the amazing flats...

Bikes. All of the bikes. Though not as bad as in Cambridge. There are bikes everywhere in London. I'd be scared to death to ride them, but you see people zooming in and out of traffic all of the time, biking right along side the cars and huge buses.


When in London, you will always pass tearing down... and building back up. Large cranes seem to have become iconic in this grand city!


In the last 5 years, I have seen many skyscrapers go up.. The Shard took months and months...


But they are all so beautiful when they're finished, I took this one just a few months ago.



How about that Cheese grater?


I love the side streets of London



I love that every single time I'm in London... I see street performers, I've seen fire eaten, I've seen magic tricks... I've seen these guys...



We must not forget about Quirky London. Quirky is as relevant as the history of this great city.
I mean... There are so many amazing street artists like Boa and Banksy, but there is hidden art too... Like mushrooms on a building. Who would have thought?


Turning a corner in London, often means seeing old passages... Often hundreds of years old.
But this one is near Tower Bridge and the Tower of London.


Did I mention it's really really OLD?


How about this... A part of the Original London Bridge, (NOT to be confused with Tower Bridge)


London.
It's old, It's new, It's eclectic, It's diverse, It's proper, It's colorful, It's grey, It's rainy, It's sunny. It holds many secrets, It has Boris, It has a Queen. It has a past and it definitely has a future!

But My most favorite part of London?
Just regular ole London.


Why am I going through past photos and reminiscing? It's only 4 months until I leave for England with my 2 children. I'm so excited. They are excited, though I know they have no idea what a culture shock they are visiting! Even with technology, things are quite different across the Atlantic.

The plan was to stay a year, Not just in England, but traveling, England, Ireland, Scotland, Europe. I have saved up and the plan is to WWOOF and House sit, visit friends and take at least a year long sabbatical. (Hopefully finding a job in that time). Now, well. I'm not sure how long we will stay. My son has been sick a lot, tests are being done to rule out several different illnesses. When a child gets sick it stops a mom in her tracks. My son doesn't have anything life threatening, but traveling, and leaving the private health insurance of America, is a scary thought when you're not sure what test results will bring. 

So, I'm taking it one day at a time. 
We plan to leave on June 9th, and stay at least the Summer. 
If it's meant to be, we will stay longer.

There was a time when I was uneasy if I changed my mind about something, but now, I know... Life isn't a regulated book, and the more flexible I am, the less stress I endure.

We will see you soon England!
I hope you're all having a fantastic weekend,
Tammy x


15 comments:

  1. These are the kind of photos I wish everyone would take when travelling. Shots of famous landmarks are fine, but these capture the essence of the place far better.
    I hope your Son's results come back favourably and that you can stay here as long as possible. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing your photos of how different London can be. I hope your son illness is sorted soon so your not worrying when your traveling. I'm sure you'll all have a great time and lots more photos to share.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a homage, Tammy. As commented above, some wonderful shots that capture the diversity of the place - perhaps a bit of 'warts and all'. I see the remains of the old palace of the bishops of Winchester in your 3rd picture - that must have been amazing in its day. Google 'Winchester geese'. As for mildew - you should see some of the wetter parts of Britain - like the north! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you know I am smiling don't you Tammy! After visiting yesterday it was lovely to see some of the places and I was having a quiz with myself on where certain things were by imagining walking the streets and where they were. I do hope the results come back positively and that you all can spend as much time here as possible. See you soon!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed seeing your photos of everyday London as you've experiences it at different times. I hope you get a good health report for your son and then have peace of mind about your plans to spend time in England this year. Maybe you'll come visit us in the north as well?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love each and every photo - it's a memento of something that you've loved about crazy London-town, and it sounds like you'll have a blast travelling. I hope everything goes well with your son Tammy!
    Ps. Where are those mushrooms!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammy. Lovely to have caught up with you. I've missd seeing your blogs. For some reason I haven't been getting notifications from Bloglovin but here you are so all okay now. Well I live 45 minutes from London as you know, and I NEVER tire of visiting. My husband, both kids and myself all worked in London at some stage over the last 40 years. My son still works there at Lloyds of London in the Lloyds Building in Leadenhall Street. I too have hundreds of photos and can't get enough. It's the old back alleys and forgotten lanes where you come across a tiny church or a historical pub or market place that I love. Can't wait for you to come over. I do hope your son's health issues are sorted very soon and he improves with the right treatment. Of course your family comes first but I bet they're getting excited too. Have a great week. Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regardless of how long you stay, it'll still be a spectacular adventure for the kids!

    I love that picture of the bright blue police post box! I've never seen one of those. Or, if I have, it hasn't registered!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos. I do hope that all the test results bring positive news for your son's health and that it isn't a problem for him when travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope everything works out well regarding your son's health and that you'll be able to make your planned trip. Don't forget we have the wonderful NHS in the UK! And private hospitals too. But I know what you mean about wanting to stay home if your son needs to. You would feel much more comfortable about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tammy. This is the first time I've found your blog. I live in London & some things in your photos are new to me. Intrigued by the original bit of timber by London Bridge. I've never seen that. Just shows that there's always new places to explore. I blog about museums & galleries, mainly in London & some in the rest of the UK. Might give you a few ideas for places to visit this summer. Hope the travel plans & preparation go well. Katharine

    ReplyDelete
  12. And this England-living girl can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, lovely photos - I am loving all of your London posts. We call those houses townhouses or, most commonly, terraced houses!I had almost forgotten the word terraced since moving to Canada - so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bit late reading this, but it's a beautiful post. I love London and never tire of seeing the day to day stuff. Landmarks are beautiful, but it's the essence of daily living that makes me smitten after each visit. I love how you captured that. I also hope that your sons test come back clear, and can't wait to catch up when you here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post Tammy! Those post boxes are a fav of mine too. And I never knew there was a bit of the old London bridge left! Where is it?
    I hope your son is ok, that your move here was smooth and you are enjoing your new life in London!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive comments!